One of the most annoying features of Netflix had been its characteristic autoplay function. When people browsed through videos or when they activated clips and episodes, videos would automatically start to play. All this will be a thing of the past, as Netflix just announced that it will now allow users to disable autoplay videos. One can disable the autoplay function entirely, and browse peacefully without having to reduce the volume in between.
Here is how one can disable Netflix’s autoplay video function
- One first needs to login to their Netflix account via a browser
- Once logged in, one should locate the drop-down menu in the top right corner
- The next step is to click on the drop-down menu and choose ‘Manage profiles’
- Choose the profile that you want to disable the autoplay for
- You will see that there is now a new ‘Autoplay controls’ option
- This is located just below the language and content settings
- One can check or uncheck boxes for the ‘Auto-play next episode in a series on all devices’ and ‘Auto-play previews while browsing on all devices.’
- Once you either check or uncheck, save the changes so that it is reflected all across your account
- Autoplay will be disabled on all your connected devices, including browser, iOS/Android applications, etc.
Netflix’s new update will likely increase its viewership
A number of people had been complaining that Netflix’s interface was not all that great. This has been quite true because Netflix often interfered with the searching behaviour of users. Many just gave up looking for series or movies due to the perceived interference by the autoplay feature. As Netflix has now allowed users to disable the feature, more people are likely to use login often.
Update helps Netflix to tackle the growing tide of competition
Netflix already has a number of competitors such as Hulu, Amazon Prime, and others. To beat the competitors, the company needs to make its interface superlative. If it does not, then its existing customers have no reason to stay back and use Netflix. Subscription services have grown dramatically and the competition is quite out of the world. Netflix has done the right thing by permitting users to disable the autoplay function. This will give the video giant the impetus that is required stay ahead of competitors.