A virtual private network (VPN) is used to access the Internet (send and receive data) on shared or public networks anonymously. Most of the time, VPNs offer high-grade data encryption so that users are protected from malicious threats. In fact, VPNs can be used to keep your iPhone data usage safe.
VPNs can be used to access the Internet safely without risking oppressive governments’ prying eyes, avoid cyber-criminals, eliminate phishing attacks and identify thefts, and access content that is limited by geography. As iPhone users consume a lot of data and use multiple applications that use the Internet connection, a VPN is important to stay safe. A VPN helps iPhone users to keep their data and device safe from various threats.
Let us take a look at how a VPN can help you in keeping your iPhone safe from multiple risks and vulnerabilities.
Is the security threat real on iPhones?
You would be surprised to learn that 91% of instances of cybercrime emerge from emails. 4% of devices encounter man-in-the-middle attacks, where a third-party intercepts communication maliciously, even on home Wi-Fi networks. Using public Wi-Fi is so dangerous that users leave themselves vulnerable to all kinds of threats and breaches of privacy.
Kevin Du, a computer-science professor at Syracuse University, reveals that using a VPN effectively thwarts most of these threats by encrypting traffic. In short, to protect your iPhone data and your identity, using a VPN is the smartest and probably the most necessary thing to do. Yet, most people do not know what a VPN is.
Here are some of the critical reasons why iPhone users should use a VPN
- Browsing is a lot safer and secures while using a VPN. It encrypts your data so that information about you and your iPhone can’t be “seen” by anyone
- Governments often spy on their citizens, entirely unlawfully. In some countries, citizens do not have freedom and risk persecution based on their identity. A VPN helps such individuals to access free information and establish contact without attracting their governments’ attention
- Some governments place censorship over certain Internet content. VPN allows users to get past these restrictions.
- You can use a VPN to access your home or work network remotely
- You can access content that is restricted by location or geography
It is important to remember that there is no foolproof mechanism in this world that will protect users from all kinds of cyber threats. This is because newer threats emerge always. The more stringent our privacy protection measures get, the smarter the attackers get.
Here are some tips for choosing a VPN service that keeps your iPhone data usage safe:
- It is vital to choose a VPN service that is continuously updated.
- There are multiple VPN services available today, some of which are free and many of which are paid services.
- Free services often club advertisements along with their service, resulting in questionable privacy protocols.
- Paid VPN services usually offer better protection and stronger encryption than their free counterparts.
- Many companies offer both free and paid services. These companies usually limit data transfer in free subscriptions. You can only browse to a limited extent on a free plan. To use the Internet more, you will have to upgrade your subscription to a paid one.
How to use a VPN on iPhone
While there are multiple VPN services at the moment, you can download VPN for iPhone right away Surfshark. Apple iOS makes it easy to integrate VPN with your phone’s network settings. There is hardly anything you need to do other than installing a VPN app, registering with your email, turning it on, and choosing a location from where to browse. After that, you can choose to connect to the Internet from any country of your liking.
If you would like to access content in Britain, you might want to set your location to London. If you would like to watch American TV shows unavailable in your country, you can choose a location in the US, such as San Francisco or Dallas, right on your VPN application. Once you do this, you can rest assured that you are protected from all sorts of threats and prying eyes. Besides, you can access content that is currently available in your region.
VPNs make your iPhone usage safe and secure
VPNs are perfectly safe to use. Just make sure to choose a reliable service, and you will be guaranteed to protecting your identity online while using your iPhone. If you have any questions regarding using VPN on your iPhone or keeping iPhone data usage safe, do not hesitate to ask us in the comments section below.