The New Apple TV was also announced in the recent Apple event, which provided some insight into the new exciting area Apple has improved (on previous model).
This new Apple TV has a smaller size and a new look which identifies with its array of products. Moreover, it does not feature built in storage and will provide streaming from your computer or Netflix for various TV shows and movies. For only $0.99 you will be able to rent TV shows on the same day as its DVD is released. Movies should run approximately $4.99, and with the selection of Netflix, you should have plenty to choose from.
Apple TV includes the Apple A4 Chip, WiFi, HDMI, and Ethernet with streaming capabilities of 720p. It is not completely full HD, but Apple wanted to provide a working product without sacrificing speed due to bandwidth and Internet speed. It will be coming out in about a month time, running for only $99, with pre-orders beginning now.
For those who already own an iPhone or iPad, the Apple TV will also allow streaming from your devices thanks to AirPlay…bringing the entire Apple entertainment package for the major Apple geeks.
Apple TV Specs*:
Size and weight
0.9 inches (23 mm)
3.9 inches (98 mm)
3.9 inches (98 mm)
* Apple A4 chip
Ports and interfaces
* Optical audio
* 10/100BASE-T Ethernet
* Built-in IR receiver
* Micro-USB (for service and support)
* Built-in 6-watt universal power supply
* 802.11n Wi-Fi (a/b/g compatible)
* 2.4GHz and 5GHz
* H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
* MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
* Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format
Audio formats supported
* HE-AAC (V1), AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV; Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound pass-through
* JPEG, GIF, TIFF
* Full specs at Apple