At the CES 2012 Samsung unveiled the SmartCam, which is a WiFi IP security camera, that seeks to simplify and make home security more accessible. Since the rather minimalistic looking Samsung SmartCam doesn’t require any professional set up, homeowners can set up a surveillance system in minutes, without breaking into a sweat.
The art of remote tracking just got easier, thanks to Samsung and with its sleek form factor and simple functionality, the SmartCam has success written all over it. Due to its small footprint, the SmartCam can be installed anywhere and the on board swiveling bracket, lets one mount it securely on a wall. The camera offers high-resolution video recording (640×480 / 30fps / H.264) and features non-visible infrared LED technology that comes handy in shooting in the dark. It is also equipped with a mic and a speaker system, and can be configured to automatically record video (640×480 / 30fps / H.264) when motion or sound is detected. The recorded footage gets uploaded on a Youtube account and in case of any disturbance, home owners get push notification on their smartphones.
While internet connected HDTVs are now common, not every household gets to experience this fun and interactive feature, especially if they have an HDTV purchased just a few years ago,” said Mike Palazzolo, Vice President Sales and Marketing, consumer video monitoring and security products, Samsung Techwin America. “With the inTouch camera system, Samsung is now bridging the gap between this experience and those consumers who own HDTVs without networking capability.
Perfect for the technologically challenged, the SmartCam lets one monitor activity remotely through computer, smartphones or other mobile devices. It requires no manual configuration by the consumer and can be configured by just pressing a single button. All one need to do is to simply locate the WPS button on the device and their home router and pair and sync the two devices.
Once paired, home owners can log into SamsungSmartCam.com, create a personal account to register their camera and view real-time footage from the device. Since Samsung has made apps available for both Android and iOS platforms, one can play Big Brother anywhere, anytime!
The Samsung SmartCam works it magic without going through a remote video server and fully utilizes peer to peer technology. Priced reasonably at $149, the SmartCam shall hit the US shelves in March 2012.
- Imaging Device 1/6″ 1.3M CMOS
- Effective Pixels 1,280(H) x 1,024(V)
- Scanning System Progressive
- Synchronization Internal
- Frequency 48MHz(MAX)
- Focal Length (Zoom Ratio) 2.17mm
- Angular Field of View (D/V/H) 64.5°/ 41.0°/ 50.0°
- Min. Object Distance 300mm ~ ?
- Focus Cotrol Fixed
- Pan / Tilt / Rotate
- Pan Range -35°~35° (Manual) When used with Bracket
- Tilt Range 0°~150° (Manual)
- On Screen Display (Web Browser, Local page) English, French, Germany, Spanish, Italian, Chinese, Korean
- Camera Title Off / On (Displayed up to 15 characters)
- Day & Night: Yes (IR LED 840nm, 6.6m (21.7 ft) distance)
- OS: Linux
- Audio Detection: Yes
- Video Motion Detection: Yes
- Privacy mode: Off / On Privacy button
- White Balance Auto
- Digital Zoom: Yes
- Flip / Mirror: Yes
- Ethernet: RJ-45 (10/100BASE-T)
- Wireless: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
- WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup): Yes – WPS Button
- Video Compression Format H.264, MJPEG
- Resolution: 640×480, 320×240
- Max. Framerate: 30fps (640×480)
- Video Quality Adjustment: H.264: Compression Level MJPEG : Quality Level Control
- Bitrate Control Method H.264 : CBR MJPEG : VBR
- Streaming Capability: Multiple Streaming (Up to 4 Profiles)
- Audio Compression Format: G.711
- Audio Communication: 2-Way (Built-in Microphone, Speaker)
- Protocol:TCP/IP, DHCP, SMTP, DNS, RTSP, RTCP, RTP, HTTP, TCP, UDP, STUN, XMPP, SIP, uPNP, ICE, XMPP, SNTP, IPv4/v6, ICMP
- Streaming Method: Unicast
- Max. User Access: 5 users at Unicast Mode
- Web Viewer: Internet Explorer (7,8), Safari, Firefox, Chrome
- Mobile application support: iPhone, Android (Not all android phones are compatible)
- Operating Temperature / Humidity: -10°C ~ +50°C (+14°F ~ +122°F) / 20% ~ 80% RH
- Input Voltage / Current: 5V DC
- Power Consumption: Max. 6 watts
- Indication 2 LED (Power, Wi-Fi link status)
- CPU & Memory TI DM365 (216Mhz), SDRAM : 128MB, NAND : 128MB
- Color / Material Body : White and Black
- Dimension (WxHxD) TBD
- Weight TBD