iPhone iOS 4 Jailbreak for iPhone 3G and iPod 2G using RedsnOw 0.9.5

If you are waiting for the new iOS 4 download to be available later today, you should also be pretty excited that a Jailbreak is already available. The iPhone DevTeam has released a new iOS 4 Jailbreak for the iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G. Along with the iPhone 3GS iOS 4 Jailbreak, it joins as one of the quickest Jailbreaks ever. There isn’t an actual iPhone 4 Jailbreak available yet, for it is just being officially released on June 24th, 2010.ios 4 jailbreak iphone 3g redsnow 0.9.5

Update (November 29, 2010): How to Jailbreak and Unlock iOS 4.2.1 for iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G with Ultrasn0w 1.2, PwnageTool 4.1.3 and Redsn0w 0.9.6b5

Update (October 10, 2010): New Limera1n iOS 4.1 Jailbreak Released by GeoHot for iPhone 4, 3gs, iPod Touch and also iPad

Update (August 2, 2010): How to Jailbreak iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G with iOS 4 or 4.0.1 AND iPad on iOS 3.2.1 using JailbreakMe 2.0

Official Update (June 23, 2010): Official iOS 4 Jailbreak for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G from the iPhone Dev Team.

Update: iPhone 3GS iOS 4 Jailbreak.

Note: as always, we do not encourage anyone to Jailbreak their iPhone or iPod Touch unless they are well versed in the Jailbreaking arena. Also, we must note that Jailbreaking is done by your own choice and is your personal responsibility. Lastly, this newest Jailbreaking method is NOT a carrier unlock and unless you have a registered UDID with Apple, updating the OS will upgrade your baseband and lock your iPhone or iPod.

Additional Note: For further details, additional Jailbreaking info and more of the nitty gritty how to besides what is provided below, please check out the experts at RedmondPie with their details tutorials on all current Jailbreaking.

The new Jailbreak uses the newly released Redsnow 0.9.5 which was just released to both Windows and Mac. It is a beta version and it is not yet certain if ‘newer’ updates will be made available or if so…when.

To Jailbreak the iOS 4 for iPhone 3G with Redsnow 0.9.5, follow the following steps [Make sure to read each step completely, so you are fully aware of what is required]

1. Go and Download iPhone OS 4 Beta for the iPhone 3G here.

2. Make sure to update the latest firmware file: iPhone1,2_4.0_8A230m_Restore.ipsw

3. Download RedsnOw 0.9.5 Here or here.

4. Begin RedsnOw 0.9.5 and direct it the iOS 4 Beta firmware.

ios 4 jailbreak iphone 3g redsnow 0.9.5 image

5. “Install Cydia” and continue with “Next”.

ios 4 jailbreak iphone 3g redsnow 0.9.5 screenshot

6. Make sure your iPhone 3G or iPod Touch 2G is off AND plugged into your computer PRIOR to clicking “Next”.

7. Connect in recovery mode.

ios 4 jailbreak iphone 3g redsnow 0.9.5 detail

You will be prompted to Hold BOTH the Power AND Home buttons at the same time. After a few additional seconds, maintain holding the home button while releasing the Power button and the installation will begin.

8: RedsnOw should now have started the installation and Restart once finished…with the new iOS 4 ready.

To enable Multitasking and Wallpapers, check out RedmondPie for all the details.

We believe that iPhone Jailbreakers, users and readers are more aware of intricate details, ideas and explanation, so we urge you to comment and share your thoughts on the iOS 4 Jailbreaking.

88 thoughts on “iPhone iOS 4 Jailbreak for iPhone 3G and iPod 2G using RedsnOw 0.9.5

1. Denys.

IReb v 4.0 really fix the first problem (incorrect jailbreak by redsnow that cause all the mentioned problems)
    After using IReb you can restore old config from your iTunes. I think next time I’ll use green poison to jailbreak it.

2. graig.

Hi, I have got iphone 3G with 4.0.1 firmware, downloaded redsn0w (new version) & the iphone 4.0 restore….. i have gone through all the steps but after the phone reboots l still get the same locked page with the usb cable n itunes symbol,basically the phone is still blocked….`heeeeelp

3. john smiiiw.

hey.. when i have to installing cydia, my phone got lost its app such as safari, phone book, weather etc. before i finishing installing cydia ( it still white icon), i try to reboot my iphone. and guess what, for a day until now my phone always did reboot reboot and reboot. this is getting worst when i try to shut it down to DFU mode. still the same until now.
    what the problems with my phonee? this is the end of my phone ? hahaha

1. Koun.

Do you find any solution to fix the internet access and the infinite reboot process ?
      i don’t know what i should, i almost try everything, and when i try to restore the Ipod 2G, it said error 1602 or 1604, it depends of what computer i’m on
      Help me plz 🙂

4. Danny.

ipod 2g with 4.1. have cydia on but blank icon. wifi siginal strong but cannot get an internet or cydia doesn’t connect either. can anybody help out

1. Jenko.

same problem here..went tru the whole process to the dot..got the blank cydia icon..can’t add the saurik repo bec. wifi has signal but can’t connect to the net..can’t turn off my ipod either..guess will have to do a full restore and wait for the final release of redsn0w or have the DevTeam fix this problem…anyway..still thankful for the whole DevTeam for all their efforts..MORE POWER!!

1. raymond.

did u find a solution to your problme already coz we got the same problem.. i can’t use my safari, store apps, etc.. if you got a solution to this pls inform me. tnx!

5. Pingback: DWF » Blog Archive » iOS4.2 is Out

6. meni.

I’m trying to jailbreak my 2g iphone with redsnow after i have upgraded it to 3.1.3 vresion. i’ve done everything as it says in the guides but from some reason it’s stuck on the apple logo for hours, i’ve tried to hold the power button and the home button like few people said, and it returned to the same position.

please help!!!

7. flux john.

Hi is there any redsnow for windows? the link given is not working for my windows it is saying “unable to recognize specified IPSW”

8. Pingback: NYE KOMMENTARER » Blog Archive » Re-jailbreak

9. Dan.

Hi, I have got iphone 3G with 4.0.1 siftware, downloaded redsn0w (new version) & the iphone 4.0 restore….. i have gone through all the steps , however phone wont reboot? anyone got any suggestions? I can disconnect the phone from the pc and it will boot up normally, but will not boot up after trying to install cyidia

10. kivadrive.

after I jailbreak my phone, it runs so slow when I use 3G network (using at&t). Any help to fix the problem. It happens on 2 of my phones. So sad now.

11. Koolnesss.

After I updTed to os4 software on my 2nd gen iPod touch and jail broke it, i noticed problems with the app stability. Any app I wanted to use, such as safari or installous, crashes Almost every 10 minutes. Help?

12. Nune.

Will this work for ipod touch version 0.4? If it does what is the other way to unlock and jailbreak it
    Thx 🙂

13. cracker.

I got a 2gen iPod with ios4 I just put on it. How can I JB it now I got ios4 on it?
    I tried the restore back to 3.1.2.
    Not working, it won’t recognise it.
    Can u helllllp meeeee??????

14. Pingback: Jailbreak iOS 4 | Hokumetai Technology News | Gadget Review | Games Review | Technology Gadget News Review

15. Arun Madas.

For all those who are seeing “waiting for reboot”, i got it resolved. I am not sure which one did the trick. I am describing it here –

In Principle, it tells you to perform these three steps.
    1) Hold power button for 3 sec
    2) Without releasing power button, hold home button as well for 10 sec
    3) Release power button and keep holding home button.

In some cases, after performing step 1 and step 2, religiously, the iphone does not boot up.

Here is what Santhosh Garlapad (co-worker) did to get it to work –

1) Hold the power button for 6-7 seconds (try little longer if you think so, but not too long)
    2) Without releasing the power button, Hold the Home button for 4-6 seconds
    3) Release the power button while continueing to hold the home button as long as you see the “HardDrive picture” (stating waiting to download jailbreak software etc…)

I am not misleading anyone. I fought myself for two days doing the initial steps while my iphone was just dieing and never rebooted. My Coworker got this to work easily.

At home while i was trying i had Windows XP Home Edition, but when i tried the new steps with my co-worker, i tried it on my office machine running Windows XP Business Edition (any guesses if that could be the problem, no i dont think so). But suggest other option to try it on other machines too.

16. Greg.

Ok I have an iPod touch 3G (3.1.3) that I upgraded to ios 4.0 the same day it came out is there a jailbreak available for my iPod? I’ve been searching and searching.

17. Tyler.

i did all of this but after the dfu mode the screen says waiting for reboot and it just sits there what do i do!!!!!!!

18. Jek.

I’m working on it. I’m not auctally making a software, but trying to use pwnagetool I haven’t been able to try it yet. I’ll comment after I try.

19. Jek.

I think It May work if u use pwnagetool with a mc model iPod touch 2g. I haven’t been able to try I yet, but I will soon. It should work.

20. John.

Using redsnow Browse I got: please select the corresponding
    ipsw for your current firmware unable to recognize specified IPSW.

please help!

21. Pingback: TechieGeeky.com » Blog Archive » iOS 4 3GS jailbreak and universal unlock

22. Josh.

I have a 3G iPod touch, Jailbroken on OS 3 with Spirit, then upgraded to iOS4. My iPod is now half-jailbroken. I lost Cydia, and backgrounds and stuff, but my name and numerical battery is still displayed. Will I still be able to re-jailbreak it? Need to know this now please, thanks.

23. Harley.

Hello,

I am buying a newly jail broken (ios4) iphone 3g. I do not have an iphone plan but I do have AT&T. I should still be able to use basic phone services my plan covers right? It won’t be locked to the old SIM that used it?

24. Luke.

Jb my 2nd touch non mc today it worked fine but cydia apps kept crashing e.g ifile, ibluenova, icon support

25. Joe Vegas.

So just so I’m clear. I have a jailbroken unlocked iphone on 3.0 firmware with T-mobile. Am I able to upgrade to iOS4? If yes, can you direct me to the easiest site to do this?

26. chaitu.

Thanks to Redsn0w… it made my ipod touch 2G jailbreaked …… after breaking my head using Sn0wbreeze for 4 times to jail break it….

You rocked…. 🙂

27. cheap.

I have a 3G that was originally on 3.1.3 and jailbroken with Spirit. It’s now on iOS 4. Should I downgrade or can I use redsn0w to just jailbreak (not looking to unlock). Thanks in advance guys, been looking all afternoon for a straight answer.

28. elmo.

guys, ios4 worked on my iphone 3g, the wall paper and multi tasking thing. my only concern is that , my phone is so slow now after jailbreaking and unlocking 4.0, any fix? thanks

29. Xyfzie.

Okay,., soo,., i already jailbroke my iphone 3g that was 4.0 with the redsn0w beta,., but then now,., i dont have internet access,., my phone tells me it picks up wifi signal,., but i cant even open a website in safari,., O__o

30. gabr809.

Hey,
    I was able to jailbreak the Iphone 3g IOS4 useing redsn0w but when I clicked on the Cydia app all of the apple apps that come with the iphone (Safari, Iphone, Phone, Messages, Settings…) were deleted. The Cydia app deleted as well, all I can see now are the apps I have download from Itunes suchs as Facebook and Pandora.

What do I need to do to fix this problem?

31. Jonathan.

This guide worked perfectly. Thanks!!!!!

note: the cydia icon might appear white to fix:

1. Open Cydia.

2. Tap the Manage button on the bottom.

3. Than select sources.

4. Tap on the edit button on the top right corner, and then select Add.

5. Type in http://apt.saurik.com/cydia-3.7

6. Then Add source.

7. Reboot the iDevice.

1. gabr809.

Hey,
      I was able to jailbreak the Iphone 3g IOS4 but when I clicked on the Cydia app all of the apple apps that come with the iphone (Safari, Iphone, Phone, Messages, Settings…) were deleted. The Cydia app deleted as well, all I can see now are the apps I have download from Itunes suchs as Facebook and Pandora.

What do I need to do to fix this problem?

32. billy.

I just jailbroke my iPhone 3g with 4.0 (6/23/2010) with redsn0w 0.9.5b5-4. So far it’s working flawlessly.

33. Ashley.

i just tried it an worked like a charme. I was was even able to unlock the phone aswell with firmware 4.0. The only problem is multitasking doesn’t work properly. Thanks

34. Pingback: iPhone iOS 4 Jailbreak Update : for iPhone 3G and iPod 2G using RedsnOw 0.9.5 | Buzzweb

35. Tom.

I Downloaded Red-snow 0.9.5 for Mac and when I try to open, it says “you cannot open the application Red-snow because it is not supported on this architecture”. Any idea what that means. I am new to Mac and would appreciate any help.

36. transistor.

iPhone 3G and iOS 4 jailbroken succesfully.
    Took only a few minutes and then Cydia had to do some cleaning up.
    Redsn0w 0.9.5b5-3 has a checkbox to activate Multitasking and Wallpapers, very convinient and all working fine.
    Thanks for the instructions!

37. JJ.

I also tried using the b5 redsnow on an ipod touch 2g, but it wouldn’t recognize the released and final ipsw. Downloaded through itunes and updated the ipod with it, still wouldn’t recognize it as valid firmware.

38. bartaba_666.

I jailbreak an ipod touch 2G.
    The multitasking doesn’t work correctly.
    The springboard crash every five minutes and now it just crash totally.
    Most of Cydia applications doesn’t work (sbsettings ; Winterboard).
    I wait for limera1n now.

39. MonkeyMan.

Hannes, 2009 models are third generation. Therefore, the regular non-jailbreak iOS4 will work with all iPod touch features. This jailbreak will work also, but there would be no reason to install it. On a separate note, has anyone who installed this on a second generation (late 2008) have any success with multitasking?

40. Hannes.

Does this work with an iPod touch 2G LATE 2009…they late 2009 models have the same bootloader as the 3G .. does it work for me?

41. MonkeyMan.

Just installed onto iPod Touch 2G. Wallpaper and folders work great; however, multitasking does not work properly. Although there is a bottom bar that shows recently run apps, you are unable to pick up where you left off. This is simply just a history log, rather than the multitasking that was advertised. Switching between apps will cause app to restart and lose active point.

42. noob.

What about Ipod touch 2.5G (otherwise known as: MC 3G, or, 8GB 3rd gen) I have one of these, and its jailbreaked with spirit on 3.1.2… Can i do this?
    email me if so! 😀

[email protected](dot)com(dot)au

43. everybody!.

hi everyone….

this is for the final release of ios 4… released on the 21st

but to jailbreak it you need to select the ios 4 GM version…

then it will work…

any other issues keep asking…

44. Eric.

I think your supposed to use the beta ios 4 in redsnow.. unfortunately they dont mention which version.. tried beta 4 with same error

45. Gryphon.

Oh, I should have let you know that I’m using the Mac version and am attempting to jailbreak an iPhone 3G.

46. Gryphon.

Redsn0w 0.9.6 did not recognize the .ipsw firmware file (iPhone1.2_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw) that iTunes downloaded today as the update to iOS 4.0.

Received a message “Unable to recognize specified IPSW.”

Any ideas anyone?

1. MuEmpire.

you have to use the beta 0S4 when you select your CURRENT ispw. meaning you have to update to the beta BEFORE you jailbreak. are you still on 3.1.2 or 3.1.3? i think its the only way it will allow?

2. Help!!!!!!.

I need Help too!!! i’ve tried re-downloading the restore software so many times with firefox, chrome, and internet explorer, and i’ve gotten like so many different versions of redsnow… but its still saying “unable to recognise specified IPSW”… what am i doing wrong???

47. Pingback: Apple Launches iOS 4 via iTunes