D.I.C.E. Awards Give Journey ‘Game of the Year’ Honors
Thatgamecompany’s spiritual adventure game and a quality selection of other titles receive top honors in Las Vegas.
On Thursday night the 16th annual D.I.C.E. Awards were held in Las Vegas, an esteemed industry award show that poops all over Spike’s Video Game Awards, credibility wise – uh, sorry Geoff Keighley.
Voted by video game executives, the two big winners where thatgamecompany’s Journey and Valve’s Gabe Newell. The PlayStation Network exclusive and “FEELS” generator of 2012 took home 8 awards, from sound design, art direction, and including the prestigious prize of Game of the Year.
TellTale Game’s The Walking Dead was a runner-up that night in awards count with 4.
Meanwhile Gabe Newell – no, not Gary – was made the 17th inductee into the AIAS (Academy Interactive Arts & Sciences) Hall of Fame, joining the influential likes of Will Wright and Shigeru Miyamoto whose contributions to medium of gaming have been greatly felt.
Below is a list of the individual D.I.C.E. awards and their winners from Thursday night:
- Action Game of the Year: Borderlands 2
- Mobile Game of the Year: Hero Academy
- Handheld Game of the Year: Paper Mario Sticker Star
- Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Composition: Journey
- Outstanding Achievement in Sound Design: Journey
- Outstanding Achievement in Story: The Walking Dead
- Outstanding Character Performance: The Walking Dead: Lee Everett
- Downloadable Game of the Year: The Walking Dead
- Casual Game of the Year: Journey
- Web Based Game of the Year: SimCity Social
- Family Game of the Year: Skylanders Giants
- Role-Playing/Massively Multiplayer Game of the Year: Mass Effect 3
- Strategy/Simulation Game of the Year: XCOM: Enemy Unknown
- Outstanding Innovation in Gaming: Journey
- Sports Game of the Year: FIFA Soccer 13
- Racing Game of the Year: Need for Speed Most Wanted
- Fighting Game of the Year: PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
- Outstanding Achievement in Online Gameplay: Journey
- Outstanding Achievement in Connectivity: Halo 4
- Outstanding Achievement in Animation: Assassin’s Creed III
- Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction: Journey
- Outstanding Achievement in Visual Engineering: Halo 4
- Outstanding Achievement in Gameplay Engineering: XCOM: Enemy Unknown
- Adventure Game of the Year: The Walking Dead
- Outstanding Achievement in Game Direction: Journey
- Game of the Year: Journey
Congrats to all the winners from the 2013 D.I.C.E. Awards and for more gaming news or any nerdy interests stay tuned to Walyou. Home of Gears of War HammerBurst Prop replicas and solar-powered vehicle covers.