If life is like an air-o-plane, then the news of Capcom giving the NES classic DuckTales a HD version will send you sky high.
Taking a cue from past makeover efforts like Bionic Commando: Rearmed, Capcom is pushing yet another modern take of a well-aged NES classic with the hot-off-the-presses announcement of DuckTales Remastered, out this summer for the PlayStation Network, Xbox Live Arcade, and Wii U eShop at the generous price of $15.
Woo-oo, indeed guys.
Out of the numerous licensing collaborations that came during the 8 & 16-bit era between media empire Disney and Street Fighter II maker Capcom (Chip n’ Dale: Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck, etc.), DuckTales for the NES unarguably stands out to me and a large audience of others as the crowning jewel in the Scrooge McDuck money bin.
To see it get the “remastering” treatment is surely great news, but what kind of spiffy new enhancements can we expect for DuckTales Remastered? Lots! With developer WayForward on the job – aces in my book when it comes to reviving a long dormant gaming properties (see last year’s radical Double Dragon Neon on digital platforms) – the game is seeing many welcomed additions, such as:
NES version of DuckTales on the left, Remastered on the right.
- Hand-drawn high-definition sprites (on 3D backgrounds) that make Scrooge McDuck and the rest of the cast from the NES game look straight out of the DuckTales cartoon.
- The original voice-talent from the show will be acting in their reprised roles and scenes from cartoon will be incorporated into the game.
- A tutorial level will be added along with a ton new in-level/boss surprises not found in the NES version.
- Enhanced version of the DuckTales soundtrack via Jake ‘Virt’ Kaufman – believe me when I tell you that with Mr. Kaufman behind the music production, we’re in good hands, peeps.
- The “museum” section of the game will allow players to track achievements, progress, and status online against friends and players from around the world.
Last and certainly not least, that money bin! Fulfilling all our childhood dreams, WayForward is making Scrooge McDuck’s famed money bin an actual playable area, where you can cash in your coins and even take a swim just like the DuckTales opening. OMG! IT’S HAPPENING!!!
Here’s the reveal trailer for DuckTales Remastered. If you don’t immediately feel immense joy surging through your body upon watch it, then I’d probably go check with a doctor or something.
Welp, now that gosh-darn DuckTales theme song is stuck in my head! Which is probably a good thing, right? Exactly, just like staying tuned on Walyou for the latest geekery around the web, i.e. cool fighting robots controlled Famicom controllers or an awesome LEGO Star Trek: In to Darkness trailer!